Monday, September 07, 2009

The Dukes of Sussex

In the Park's heyday, Cobblestone Village was filled with gift shoppes, food concessions and a "Broadway" stage. But as attendance fell off, more and more of them were shuttered. Some were repurposed as offices or used for storage and some, well, some were used for other purposes.

The Park was located in Sussex County, a red pocket of an otherwise Blue State, and as such, there was a certain, uh, disregard, for the federal government and their pesky rules. So it shouldn't have come as a surprise that one night, during a routine sweep of the area, security found a functioning still in one of the vacant shoppes.

Moonshine. Apparently, it's making a comeback.

2 comments:

Jo Bay said...

Absolutely love the blog (which is why I just spent the last 3 hours reading every post on there) and I remain fascinated about Action Park. I have fond memories of my 3 or 4 trips there as a teenager, all the way from Northwest Connecticut. I'm looking forward to more stories from you guys....thanks for the memories!

Anonymous said...

I am now so sad that I never had the chance to go to Action Park! More stories, please!!!!!!!!!!