Friday, September 14, 2007

Minor Characters, Part 1: A Roundup

There were lots of weirdos on the periphery of my Park experience.

First, there was Lloyd. He hung out behind the bottom shack at the Alpine Slide, fixing broken carts. He spoke a weird blend of some Scandinavian language and... something else. I found him terrifying, so I never got close enough to figure it out.

Then there was Rob T. He was the guy who sat at the summit all day. Everyday. He always had a text book with him, but I have no idea what he actually studied. He called supervisor Nancy a despot the day I was scheduled for summit instead of him.

Or how about Ron F, who was arrested trying to steal beer from a delivery truck at Kites while wearing his Park uniform. That one made the paper!

More to come...

7 comments:

Daron said...

Then there was this weird guy who worked in park ops, we called him "Muscrat" due to the fact that he used to cook and eat fresh road kill.

therese said...

Really? Wow.

Lift Maintenance and the Snow Makers used to shoot turkeys from the lifts. Not while the Park was open, I don't think. Though you never know.

Melissa said...

That Summit guy. Was he the one who was caught up there tanning himself in the nude?

therese said...

Hmm... I vaguely remember reports of a nude dude at Summit, but I don't think it was Rob. In my head, it's that guy Ken from Unionville. The one who wore the aviator sunglasses and socks pulled up to his knees in an unironic manner?

Anonymous said...

Lloyd STILL walks up and down 94 to this day, saw him twitching around Mtn Creek North on Friday. He can be found on the back access road frequently during the summer...

therese said...

Nice to know Lloyd is still around.

Ed said...

I worked with Lloyd's mom Emma back in about 1989. She used to say "my one son Lloyd....he's just not right". I remember when I was an Alpine Slide attendant in about '85, we would call Lloyd "crazy bird" and he would chase us around the mid station with a hammer...shouting unintelligible rants.